The International Federation of Centers for Training in Active Education Methods (Ficeméa) regroups 42 organizations present in Europe, South America, Africa and the Indian Ocean.
For the last sixty years, our Federation has been working to promote active education working towards change in social and educational practices.
The political project
Active education aims at the emancipation of individuals throughout their life, including training in the quality of
citizenship, in order to promote a democratic life. Transforming educational practices enables new relationships
between individuals to emerge and enhances civil society. Thinking about active education can only happen in an international setting which places humanism at the heart of politics. Active education is based on freedom of initiative and of expression, creativity, an emphasis on feelings and personal development. Our educational approach creates situations where everyone – child, teenager, or adult – can become more conscious of the world around them. From this stems a sense of involvement, the idea that things can change through individual and social progress. Active education, as we envisage and develop it, is about transforming society. Active education influencing power relationships, organisational structures and individual freedom.
Ficeméa acts as a political mechanism to:
- Spread methods of active pedagogy in the world.
- Raise awareness of the principles of active education.
- Take a pro-active and questioning position when dealing with international bodies.
- Highlight the field work of member associations.
- Suggest political framework concerning themes linked to active education.
Ficeméa’s objectives are:
- To strengthen the presence of Ficeméa members in international organizations.
- To instigate and encourage training processes.
- To share ideas, activities, issues, and initiatives in order to gain more individual and collective recognition.
- To unite organizations centred on a common philosophy:active education.
Actions of member associations
- Training of professional and voluntary socio educational workers voluntary and professional, targeted activitiesto promote social development.
- Production of prevention material, educational and pedagogical tools (publications, pedagogical toolbox).
- Development of research action
- These actions will take place in multiple educational settings – formal, non-formal and informal – using varied methods such as art, culture, literature…
Our federation targets all audiences and centres around lifelong learning. It is a global movement, for people of all ages, with an emphasis on intergenerational and intercultural exchange.
- Sustainable development
- Gender equality
- Human rights
- The right to education for all
These themes are translated into cultural, social, and economic development projects.
The strength of the combined members of Ficeméa is based upon and enhanced by research in different domains: medicine, biology, sociology, and psychology (dependent upon the purpose of the work). Pedagogical methods initiated by member associations are developed and enhanced by working in partnership with the research sector.
In fact, many researchers have become involved with Ficeméa members/organisations. This aspect of our work is fundamental in strengthening innovative pedagogical approaches. Innovation comes out of the interplay between theoretical developments and fieldwork.
The Ficeméa (International federation of training centers for Active Education Methods).
- Operational relation with UNESCO.
- Participative NGO status by the Council of Europe.
- Consultative status with the International Organisation of La Francophonie.
- Member observer at the European Youth Forum.
Dowload Ficeméa’s presentation :